Skip to content ↓
Ranelagh Primary School

Ranelagh Primary School

School History

Ranelagh Primary School is steeped full of rich history. Originally named Napier Road board school, it housed junior mixed and infants and opened its doors for the first time in 1902. It was reorganised in 1927 to hold senior boys, junior boys and infants, and in 1945 secondary school children attended the school. In 1953 secondary pupils transferred to the new Thomas Lethaby building, leaving Napier Road an exclusive primary school, to which it has remained to this day.

Napier Road School 1944 - Damage due to German bombing raids
 

During the summer holidays in 1944, Napier Road school was bombed during the Second World War and the whole school was ‘put out of action.’ The windows were destroyed and blown out, rendering the school inhabitable for a short period of time. As was standard at the time, the Headmaster kept a school logbook, recording the day’s main events and any issues with staff and pupils. During the summer term of that year there were many air raids and the children were protected in air raid shelters. Many children from the local area were also evacuated to places in the country for safety, all of which was recorded in the Headmasters log.

“28.8.1944: During the August vacation the school was severely blitzed and unfit for reopening. The staff remained during the morning, directing children to the surrounding schools – afterwards the whole staff attended  the Education Offices where the chairman addressed them. The individual members were then directed to other work – the Head Teacher going to West Silvertown School to assist…”
 

The school reopened that February after repairs had been made but was damaged again by a V2 rocket at 8:30 PM on the 27th of the same month, but high spirits and resilience prevailed as the school remained open while First Aid repairs were made.

The school of course survived the Second World War and has moved from strength to strength. It was renamed Ranelagh Primary School in the mid 1970’s, has seen many redevelopments including playgrounds and parks and has a been place of outstanding learning and education ever since its inception.

Napier Road School Head Masters logbook was first written in 1933 and was last recorded in on the 10th June, 1980.
 

 

Napier C.P. Football Team 1954-55.

 

  • TTLT Logo
  • History Quality Mark Gold
  • Let's get Cooking 2012
  • Music Mark
  • Ruth Miskin Trained School
  • Sainsburys School games 2014-15
  • Quality Mark
  • British Council International School award
  • Healthy Schools
  • London Education Partnership Winner 2011
  • PSQM silver award
  • Stars Bronze level Accreditation
  • Educational Outcomes Awards 2015
  • FAST
  • London Schools Gold Club 2015-16
  • IQM Inclusion Quality
  • Autism Education Trust